No legal issue is as personal and complex as those related to the breakup of a couple. When it comes to divorce, the termination of the marital relationship involves a variety of feelings and emotions, often contradictory. One must know how to control and manage the emotional traumas in order to make the right decisions, say Virginia family and divorce lawyers.
In case of a divorce matter, the divorcing parties should take into consideration their future. And, they must think calmly, without getting carried away by the circumstances of the moment. Virginia family and divorce lawyers recommend the divorcing parties to carefully analyze the circumstances well and take into account the most sensitive part of their children’s custody and visitation matters, especially when they are minors. Of course, it is very difficult at times to keep calm and be rational when the causes and reasons that have led to the break are strong or are recent but it is important to do so.
Here are a few things to consider, at least, to start trying for better decision making:
- The first step is to go to one of the most reliable and experienced Virginia family and divorce lawyers as soon as possible. Whether it is a contentious breach or a mutual agreement, it is necessary to have a lawyer and a solicitor. Therefore, since we are going to need it in any way, it is better to advise us from the beginning. It is a good way to know our rights and avoid unnecessary discussions that can arise from pure ignorance. In addition, it will give us a real point of view of the matter, avoiding introducing emotions in those aspects in which it is better to decide without involving them.
- It is essential to think about the future in the medium and long-term and not focus on the moment in which the rupture or conflict occurs. The causes do not interest from the legal point of view, unless we are facing a serious case such as cases of abuse or situations that may influence the future relationship of one of the parents with their children. According to Virginia family and divorce lawyers, the reasons for the divorce are not mentioned, and neither used nor does our law punishes, in any way, the one who has made the decision or who has supposedly failed in the relationship.
- If there are minor children (and even this should also apply to the elderly), they are the main sensitive individuals to protect. All the measures that are adopted must be based on their best interest and be generous to them. Additionally, they should not be used to harm the other spouse ever.
- It is essential not to stay wrong in an immovable position. You have to know how to listen and sometimes give in. It is always better to reach an agreement adjusted to the real expectations of both parties. An agreement will also always facilitate a later fulfillment of the measures in a much better environment.
- Our personal situation is not comparable to that of any other couple we know. It is a very common mistake to try to get the same thing as a friend or an acquaintance without really taking into account each and every one of your circumstances.